Clubs, Programs and Activities
Arcado Green Team
Mission: The mission of the Arcado Green Team is promoting environmental knowledge and awareness. This is accomplished mainly through recycling. Environmental education is encouraged through a “hands on” approach. Team members take the responsibility of collecting and recyclable items throughout the school. Global thinking, problem solving, cooperative learning, and service education are among the many benefits of team membership.
- Operating school recycling center
- Weekly collection of classroom paper
- Education of student body through book talks
- Information sharing through school news show and infomercials
- Working closely with science education teacher
- Working in cooperation with Environmental Committee with PTA
- Special events
Eligibility: Fourth graders with a “C” or greater average are invited to complete an application by an announced “cut off” date. Applications will be reviewed by a Teacher Selection Team. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Arcado Elementary PTA Environmental Committee
- Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful
National Elementary Honor Society
Mission: Arcado Elementary has established a chapter of the new National Elementary Honor Society (NEHS) to recognize their most outstanding students in 4th and 5th grades. This is our second year in this program.
Arcado is designated as a “Founding Chapter of NEHS” joining elementary schools around the nation in establishing a program to promote excellence in academic achievement and involvement in leadership and service for the nation’s youngest students. More than just an honor roll, NEHS engages its members in service activities and leadership development that help strengthen the programs for all students at the school and improve life in the community.
Planned Activities: Once members are selected, the chapter will organize service projects and other activities that support the purposes of the organization.
Eligibility: All A’s and no more than 2 B’s in the first quarter grades; must be in fourth or fifth grade.
Affiliations: The National Elementary Honor Society joins the National Honor Society (NHSä) and the National Junior Honor Society (NJHSä) as the nation’s premier organizations recognizing outstanding students who demonstrate excellence in the areas of scholarship, responsibility, leadership, service, citizenship, and character. NHSä and NJHSä were founded by and are programs of the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP). NASSP—the preeminent organization and national voice for middle level and high school leaders—also sponsors the National Association of Student Councils (NASC) promoting and providing leadership development opportunities to prepare and empower students to serve their schools and communities. Visit www.principals.org for more information.
Established in 1921, the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP) serves 30,000 elementary and middle school principals in the United States, Canada, and overseas. www.naesp.org
For more information about the Arcado National Elementary Honor Society, visit www.arcadonehs.weebly.com/.
Witzzle Pro Club
Mission: Witzzle Pro is an exciting and fast-paced math game which helps students to become fluent in working with and visualizing math facts through the use of a competitive game format.
Planned Activities: Witzzle Pro Club will meet weekly, on Wednesday afternoons after school, with faculty advisors Kathe Gowland and Susie Prochaska. At each meeting, we work as a group with a warm-up “target number and card” to discuss strategies, then we break up into smaller groups to practice and hone our skills. Students will have the opportunity to participate in tournament(s) with students from other Gwinnett County Witzzle Pro Clubs.
Eligibility: This club is open to students in 4th and 5th grade.
Academy of Performing Arts
Mission: To provide musical enrichment opportunities for older, elementary-aged students at Arcado Elementary School by providing four groups: Arcado Chorus, Hand Chime Choir, Arcado Percussion Ensemble, and the Arcado Dance Company.
Faculty Advisor: Andy Chappell
- The Arcado Chorus is scheduled to perform for the December Holiday Concert and the 5th Grade Celebration Ceremony on the last day of school. This ensemble might also perform for other school functions and a community activity.
- The Arcado Ballet Company is a dance ensemble that allows students to explore classical ballet. They will perform at the holiday performance in December and perhaps also in the spring performance. Students need not have ballet experience to audition for this ensemble.
- The Arcado Percussion Ensemble is scheduled to perform for the Spring Concert. This ensemble might also perform for additional, school functions and a community activity.
- The Arcado Dance Company is scheduled to perform for the Spring Concert. This ensemble might also perform for additional, school functions and a community activity.
- Additional, future enrichment opportunities will be announced to parents and students primarily through Mr. Chappell’s website. They will also appear in the Arcado AstroFlash Newsletter and on the PTA e-news page. Students will also be informed directly through music class announcements.
Eligibility: Any interested 4th or 5th grade students may try out for this group during the audition week.